Merchant (商人) is a job class that originally hailed from YGGDRASIL.
Merchant refers to any person involved in wholesale trade. Especially one dealing in goods or services. Their talents are universally found in any nation. Merchants in the Baharuth Empire were known to possess greater opportunities to explore new markets due to its prosperity. In the Re-Estize Kingdom, merchants in the food trade of E-Rantel enjoy high status. In the New World, merchants also acted as a means of communication, spreading news and information between nations.
Known Merchant Groups
Abilities and Powers
Merchants possess appraisal abilities, being able to discern the value of items. Art is one such example, at least in the New World which they are capable of valuing. In YGGDRASIL, those with merchant-type skills could use an item called the Exchange Box to receive better prices for the items they insert.
- One of the ways Princess Renner Theiere Chardelon Ryle Vaiself wanted to push forward her agriculture reforms in using crop rotation was to appeal to a group known as the Great Merchants. However, Lakyus Alvein Dale Aindra dismissed her idea, as the merchants had their own conflicts to deal with, and were probably unwilling to aid the Royalty Faction at the risk of alienating the Nobility Faction.
- In order to spread his name and increase his finances as an adventurer, Ainz Ooal Gown considered getting a sponsorship from a merchant, but dismissed the idea as it would leave a bad image.
- Solution Epsilon and Sebas Tian infiltrated the upper crust of the Re-Estize Kingdom, posing as part of a wealthy merchant family from the Baharuth Empire.
- Merchants were usually looked down upon by nobles so that they could establish who was of higher rank.
- Besides nobles, merchants were normally the only ones to handle platinum coins.