Mass for the Dead is a smartphone game based on Kugane Maruyama's Overlord novel series. The website to pre-register for the game opened on June 25, 2018. The game will be free to play with in-app purchases.
Overlord -MASS FOR THE DEAD- was made available for iOS and Android. On November 8, 2018, it was announced that the game released would be delayed to early 2019. On February 13, 2019, it was announced that the game app would be available on February 21, 2019.
On March 31, 2020, Crunchyroll announced pre-registration to be available for an upcoming English release of Mass for the Dead through its website.
Turn-Based Command Battles
In the turn-based battles, players will need to choose what action they are going to do.
Main actions are: "Attack," "Amass"(Special Skill Progress bar/MP) and "Defend." In addition, players can choose between three skills using Magic Points (MP) they receive every turn.
- Automatic Mode: A function in the game that allows the player to play in automatic mode.
- Accelerate Mode: A function in the game that allows the player to play at a faster pace.
- Multiplayer Mode: Up to four players can play at the same time. A small screen located on the left-hand corner will allow a user to check all the actions of other players done in battle and plan accordingly. This mode allows a user to express how he/she feels during a situation using emoticon icons.
A place where users can get 'closer' to other players. The closer you are to these players a new event will appear. New stories will be unlocked and information on characters will be revealed.
The game's plot is supervised by series creator Kugane Maruyama and involves the player Momonga. It was stated to be set in the world of YGGDRASIL. Alongside Momonga, you opt not to log out of the game — and find yourself in the Great Tomb of Nazarick. As Momonga, now Ainz Ooal Gown, you must face the growing threats present in the now-offline game.
Momonga finds himself in the ruined library of Ashurbanipal. Sensing something to be wrong he heads immediately to the 10th Floor. To his horror he finds the last defense to the Throne Room, the Golems of Lemegeton to be destroyed. Entering the Throne Rooms he finds it in ruins and hears the sounds of a battle.
- Those that pre-registered will have a chance to win a life-sized replica that happens to be the Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown. Pre-registration rewards will include up to 500 Chaos Stones. The Twitter campaign ran from June 25 until July 31, 2018.
- Voice actors from the Overlord Anime will be returning to play their roles in the game. They will also be offering autographed cards as giveaways for the game's pre-registrations Twitter campaign.