- "In Nazarick, some mechanisms are used by uttering a single phrase. Although it is borrowed from the Gospel, that phrase is [Giving up one's life for friends is the greatest love of all]. This phrase directly refers to you; thank you for your love."
Before Ainz Ooal Gown conquered this guild-based dungeon, it had been a dungeon that was recommended for level 80+ players to beat in one attempt.
The existence of the Great Tomb of Nazarick came to the attention of Nishikienrai, who reported this to Nine's Own Goal. After the clan reorganized itself as Ainz Ooal Gown, the guild then launched a raid on the unexplored dungeon. The guild was able to swiftly defeat each of the Five Rulers and eventually make their way to the sixth floor after battling numerous undead.
Upon completing the dungeon successfully on their first try, they were given the World Item, "The Throne of Kings" for the guild master to sit on. According to Tabula Smaragdina, the Great Tomb of Nazarick seemed to be identified as a simultaneous attack dungeon, stating it to be the hardest kind, the sort that needed five parties to progress through it. Back in YGGDRASIL, the dungeon was originally located in the deepest reaches of the huge poison swamp, or rather in the marshes of Helheim. But after the dungeon was transported into the New World, however, it is now situated within the grasslands near the Great Forest of Tob.
Additionally, the Great Tomb of Nazarick is said to have been one of the most widely feared legendary dungeons of YGGDRASIL. As Ainz Ooal Gown acted the role of an "evil" guild, there were many invaders who attempted to try and capture the dungeon, but all of them were repelled without exception. The only attack that ever managed to reach above the 6th Floor was said to have been the work of a guild alliance aided by mercenary NPCs. They numbered about fifteen hundred people united together against the dungeon. Despite the invasion from a guild alliance with their combined strength, it was still not enough for these invaders to even successfully conquer the 8th Floor, as they were stopped halfway by Victim and the NPCs inhabiting the floor.
The Undead King Arc
- Main article: The Undead King Arc
When YGGDRASIL was about to be shut down, Momonga decided to stay online in the game at the Great Tomb of Nazarick until the very end. During this time, all but three of his fellow guildmates had left the game for personal reasons. After briefly talking with Herohero in the Round Table Room, Momonga went to the Throne Room and waited to be forcefully logged out. However, he didn't expect himself to be teleported to the New World along with his guild headquarters and all of his NPC minions, who were there with him and now have sentient personalities based on their programmed settings.
Both Demiurge and Albedo are given the task of coming up with a more comprehensive administrative system for the entirety of Nazarick to manage except for the 8th Floor.
According to Demiurge, Nazarick had constructed an early-warning net in the form of their perimeter security. This was done to allow detection of intrusion from any intelligent beings within five kilometers. This way, Nazarick would be able to observe the foes without their knowledge.
Deciding to make an everlasting name for not only himself, but also his guild, in the New World, Momonga took on the name Ainz Ooal Gown, as it represented his whole guild altogether. Another reason for choosing the name was because it was widely known in YGGDRASIL. Most players would recognise it easily and finding other players in the New World would be much easier.
The Dark Warrior Arc
- Main article: The Dark Warrior Arc
Ainz orders all of his NPC servants to search for and gather any intelligence they can stumble upon during their search for any possible players near the surrounding of Nazarick. He also decides to learn more about this New World. As Ainz is unfamiliar with the New World, he decides to go adventuring outside the Great Tomb of Nazarick. Ainz carries out his personal exploration with Narberal Gamma, who accompanies him on his journey as they both adopt adventurer personas in E-Rantel.
The Bloody Valkyrie Arc
- Main article: The Bloody Valkyrie Arc
Nazarick gets a rude awakening when Shalltear Bloodfallen falls victim to a mind-control ability. Such a scenario should have been impossible to happen to a Floor Guardian, but it reveals a terrifying existence that can potentially threaten Nazarick or even destroy it. As a result, Ainz decides to equip his Floor Guardians with World Items for the sake of protection against the potential enemy.
The Show Must Go On! Arc
- Main article: The Show Must Go On! Arc
Nazarick hosts its first theatre production, Romeo and Juliet. Auditions are held for the role of Juliet, though many of the NPCs in Nazarick refrain from entering as they do not want to earn the ire of Albedo and Shalltear, who are competing for the role.
The Lizard Man Heroes Arc
- Main article: The Lizard Man Heroes Arc
Ainz orders the annihilation of the lizardmen in order to create stronger undead and strengthen Nazarick. The undead army of Nazarick are utterly defeated by the lizardmen, but it is just an experiment to use that weak army for observing how the lizardman fight. Ainz and the Nazarick forces threaten the lizardmen and challenge them to fight Cocytus. After the lizardmen heroes are defeated, Ainz then revives the strongest lizardmen and all the lizardmen tribes bow down to their new God.
The Men in the Kingdom Arc
- Main article: The Men in the Kingdom Arc
The forces of Nazarick infiltrate the Re-Estize Kingdom's underground criminal organization, Eight Fingers. By controlling the Eight Fingers' executives, Ainz Ooal Gown is able to obtain his own intelligence network. Through them, they are now able to gain a broader understanding of the political activities between the Re-Estize Kingdom and the Baharuth Empire.
The Invaders of the Large Tomb Arc
- Main article: The Invaders of the Large Tomb Arc
Upon settling into the New World, Ainz begins to make Nazarick his own seat of power. In addition, Nazarick has since moved on to prep for and set up an independent nation, operating from within the territory of Re-Estize Kingdom. While this is happening, Nazarick is invaded by workers of the Baharuth Empire. Ainz intentionally allows the invaders into their tomb to experiment and test out Nazarick's defense systems. In retaliation for their invasion of the tomb, Nazarick easily disposes of the worker groups without any difficulty by the latter opposing them. At the same time, Nazarick uses this invasion to later on justify their contact and confrontation with the Empire when a chance for talks of negotiation is established.
The Magic Caster of Destroy Arc
- Main article: The Magic Caster of Destroy Arc
The Great Tomb of Nazarick is visited by the delegation from the Baharuth Empire. The imperial delegation, though originally surprised at the log cabin entrance with an undead escort, especially Emperor Jircniv Rune Farlord El-Nix, is in awe at the wealth and grandeur of the ninth and tenth floors.
The Witch of the Falling Kingdom Arc
- Main article: The Witch of the Falling Kingdom Arc
Layout & Features
Prior to Ainz Ooal Gown conquering this dungeon, the Great Tomb of Nazarick was originally set to have only six floors. After Ainz Ooal Gown conquered it, the dungeon was completely reconstructed and was stretched to over ten floors. For travel between floors, there are specific points on each floor, where gates open to allow magical transit. According to one of the Floor Guardians, one needs to take teleport gates at specific locations and go up level by level if they want to go from a lower Floor to an upper Floor.
Initially, the max data storage for making Custom NPCs was 2,250, but since the dungeon was won by Ainz Ooal Gown on its first try, they were granted additional data levels of 500. This setup allows the guild to make up a grand total of 2,750 levels of Custom NPCs at most. Thus, Nazarick is considered to be almost on par with the other nine dungeons in YGGDRASIL, which offer 3,000 level data storage for NPCs.
In the Web Novel, the characteristics of the undead that spawn in Nazarick can heal by negative damage, and get damaged by positive energy. They are unaffected by instant death attacks and mental attacks as well. It is a strategy that takes advantage of the undead's racial traits. The negative damage spreads across the floors by about 1 point and reduces the area effects on positive energy, all while still allowing recovery magic. Additionally, there was a transportation trap system that could divide a party. That wasn’t the only trap, as there were many other types strung up all over the place. Traps that blind people and ones that poison the air, all for the sake of blocking the path of the adventurers.
All the enemies are comprised solely of undead in Nazarick, but it still is not easy to cope with them. Coupled with the typical undead of zombies and skeletons, original monsters can be used and are one of the major factors of the invaders' crushing defeat. As well as elementals, demons, and devils appearing frequently, let alone Summoned Monsters. Summoned Monsters can be specifically chosen to be disadvantageous to the opponent. One can choose those with fatal special abilities. Naturally, the deeper the invaders go into the floors, the stronger the monsters that will appear. It is a wall of monsters so thick that one cannot even imagine how many resources are spent on Nazarick.
On the other hand, repairing damage to the Great Tomb of Nazarick requires the payment of a fee. However, one can repair a certain sum's worth of damage every day for no charge. In particular, the upper floors are designed to be particularly cheap given the fact that intruders often attempt to invade, so even repairing the entire floor is not a great expense. In contrast, things on the 9th Floor are looked upon as quite expensive according to Ainz. However, items within the royal suites are usually expensive. Nazarick is warded to block teleportation magic into or within itself except for a few specific areas.
The exterior shown outside the dungeon depicts the Great Tomb of Nazarick as being 200 meters wide in all four directions. It is enclosed by 6-meter tall perimeter walls surrounding the tomb, with two entrances being the front and back gates. There is no pattern to the Nazarick's tombstones. There are lots of statues of goddesses and angels dotting around the cemetery, some of which could have been regarded as a piece of art lingering about. In addition, there are 4 mausoleums or tombs in the four cardinal directions with a large mausoleum in the center. The surroundings of the center mausoleum being the largest tomb that exists with an entrance to the Great Tomb of Nazarick hold eight 10 meter tall armor-wearing figures. This central tomb is the upper-most level that one can teleport to by using a Ring of Ainz Ooal Gown. When the dungeon was transported to the New World, Mare Bello Fiore uses his magic to cover the walls of area to hide it from discovery.
- Log Cabin: A structure that is erected to serve as a checkpoint for visitors and manned by members of the Pleiades.
1st~3rd Floors: Grave
These floors are the Catacombs. They consist of the subterranean burial chambers where several dozen undead wander around in the darkness.
- Floor Guardian: Shalltear Bloodfallen
- Known Areas
- Black Capsule: Residence of Kyouhukou. Located on the 2nd Floor.
- Derelict Rope Bridge: It is held up by ropes that looked like they are about to break. The boards below are rotten through and where some knots have come loose, the planks have fallen off, leaving nothing but empty space where they should have been. Below the bridge are countless corpses.
- Grave Vault of Adipocere: Shalltear's residence. Located on the 2nd Floor.
- Windowless Underground Chapel: The chapel is about a hundred meters across and completely unlit.
4th Floor: Underground Lake
This floor is an underground lake located within a cavern. In the past, before Ainz Ooal Gown's conquest of the tomb, the boss of this floor was a giant white bat.
- Floor Guardian: Gargantua
5th Floor: Glacier
This floor is a wide area filled with numerous icebergs. Weather phenomena, including cloud and snow, are present here. There used to be an area penalty that caused slow and inflicted ice-type damage, but it was turned off to save costs on maintenance after the teleportation. Ainz recalls the time of an accident when he had been crossing a lake and spotted a giant serpent-like monster swimming below. Although it was not a pleasant memory to him, that experience had been put to use in the creation of the 5th Floor.
- Floor Guardian: Cocytus
- Known Areas
- Frozen Prison: A two-story building that looks similar to a house in fairy tales, though it is frozen on the surface, making its appearance bleak. Captured enemies of Nazarick are locked here, guarded by Wraith-type undead monsters.
- Snowball Earth: Cocytus' residence. It is a white dome looking similar to an overturned vespiary. Six large crystals surround this structure, which are the residences of Frost Virgins (level 82).
6th Floor: Jungle
This floor is about 200 meters in height. Created by Blue Planet, a fake sun , as well as a fake sky, exists on the ceiling, reproducing the day and night cycle that changes according to the time of day. There is no weather except the wind produced in this area, so Mare occasionally summons rain. In the Web Novel, this floor boasts the widest area in Nazarick. It is four square kilometers wide, and the center has a large lake. Most of the area is not a forest, but a jungle, and plains only take up a twentieth of the area.
- Floor Guardians: Aura Bella Fiora and Mare Bello Fiore
- Known Areas
- Gigantic Tree: Aura and Mare's residence.
- Amphitheatre: Built as a copy of the Roman Colosseum. Golems act as the audience, while VIP seats are prepared for guild members. Dragonskin (level 55) work as cleaners.
- Green Hole: An area that is developed into a village after the conquest of the Great Forest of Tob. Dryads, treants, spear needles, and some lizardmen live in the village, raising mandrakes, apples, etc.
- Overgrown Ruins
- Huge Lake: It is located in the middle of the floor. As large as it may be, it is still smaller than the underground lake on the 4th Floor.
- Poisonous Pits
- Twisted Trees
- Mangrove Forest
- Bottomless Swamps
- Various Types of Woodlands
- Large Cave: It used to be managed by the Area Guardian, Gashokukochuuou.
- Field of Flowers: A plain Field of Flowers where various plant-type monsters that Aura and Mare collected from the outside world are placed.
7th Floor: Lava
This floor contains crimson lava flowing like a river, with numerous bubbles in these currents bursting as they reach the surface. This place, which is thoroughly inimical to the living, perfectly fits the description of a "hell world." In the past, before Ainz Ooal Gown's conquest of the tomb, the boss of this floor was a lightning breathing dragon.
According to Demiurge, this dominion was designed and created for him by Ulbert Alain Odle, so it contains everything he needs to perform his function.
- Floor Guardian: Demiurge
- Known Areas
- Blazing Temple: Demiurge's residence. The entrance to the 8th Floor is inside the temple. Seven Evil Lords (around level 80) guard this area.
- River of Lava: An area guarded by Guren. There used to be a fire-elemental damage field effect in place here, but since that effect has been temporarily suspended, the area is simply hot instead. Despite this, however, this is not a place where the living can easily survive. The scorching air will easily strip throats and skin of moisture in seconds. Even freshly beaded sweat dripping from the foe's body will instantly vaporize into steam, causing a steady accumulation of fatigue. This place, which is thoroughly inimical to the living, perfectly fits the description of a "hell world." Even so, many creatures like fire-immune demons live here, part of the Great Tomb of Nazarick. There are other monsters, such as Mephits and fire-immune undead, residing in this area.
8th Floor: Wilderness
This floor is Nazarick's final defense line, guarded by the most powerful NPCs. Capture of the 8th Floor means that Ainz Ooal Gown's chances of victory are low. This floor seems to be dangerous even to the NPCs of Nazarick as Ainz forbids them from entering the 8th Floor; at least one World Item exists here.
- Floor Guardian: Victim
- Known Areas
9th Floor: Royal Suite
This floor contains Guild Members' and NPCs' rooms. It also includes imitations of large communal baths, cafeterias, beauty salons, clothing stores, grocery stores, fitness salons, nail salons, and numerous other types of facility rooms. These facilities were originally just for decoration in YGGDRASIL, but they become real after the base's arrival in the New World. According to Ainz, it is arguably the floor with conditions most similar to that of the real world.
- Known Areas
- Round Table Room: Conference chamber of the Forty-One Supreme Beings.
- Bar: Managed by the Sous-chef.
- Spa Resort Nazarick: Largely public, it has a total of seventeen baths with nine types for the two genders. It is made up of twelve zones in total. These zones include a large jungle bath, a traditional-looking Roman bath, a yuzu bath with yuzus floating on it, a carbonated bath, a jacuzzi, an electric bath with a low current that electrifies the body, a cold bath with charcoals floating on it, the Cherenkov pool, a mixed open-air bath with an artificial scenery, a sauna, a bedrock bath, and the lounge.
- Staff Canteen: A white-washed canteen area, where the maids of Nazarick gather for meals.
- Manicure Salon
- Nazarick Theater: An area where Nazarick conducts plays and performances.
- Japanese-style Room: A Japanese room with traditional tatami flooring.
- Dojo: A hall for martial arts practice.
- Water Park Nazarick: A water park theme area.
- Courthouse: A courthouse for serving judicial rulings.
- Panic Room: An emergency safe room designed by Garnet containing various traps and gimmicks.
- Funeral Home: A room that has an atmosphere of a funeral home that is a mix of Japanese and Western styles.
- Harem Room: A dressing room in Albedo's quarters and her main workshop, where she makes Ainz plushies and pillows.
- Guest Room: A room reserved for guests and visitors from outside of Nazarick.
- Class Room: A venerable room created by the Supreme Beings as a classroom.
- Ninja Mansion: A room created by Garnet for Nishikienrai.
- Quiz Room: A room used for trivia tournaments.
- Yamaiko Shrine: A Shinto shrine created as a gag by the Supreme Beings.
- Renner's Personal Quarters: Having successfully joined the Sorcerer Kingdom,the former Third Princess of the now Fallen Re-Estize Kingdom is given her own private room within the 9th Floor of the Great Tomb of Nazarick to live in, together with her "Puppy".
- Casino Resort Nazarick: A gambling area containing slot machines, card and roulette tables.
- Yo Za Shitzu: A contemporary Japanese room that serves as a game room.
10th Floor: Throne
This floor contains the throne that the guild master Momonga sits on. The throne is a World Item better known as "The Throne of Kings."
- Floor Guardian: Albedo
- Known Areas
- Room of the Pleiades Six Stars: Located right after the entrance of the 10th floor.
- Lemegeton: 67 Golems (inspired from the Spirits of Solomon) and elemental traps exist in the hall.
- Throne Hall: Albedo's original residence. Two World Items exist in this hall, including Albedo's "True Nought, Ginnungagap". This great hall also contains many high-leveled vassals who have been hand-picked by the other Floor Guardians.
- Ashurbanipal: This library is the residence of Titus Annaeus Secundus. Here is where Ainz Ooal Gown stores book-shaped items along with normal books. Magic scrolls are also manufactured in this area. It is guarded by five overlords (over level 75), whose names are based on the Five Good Emperors of the Roman Empire (Cocceius, Ulpius, Aelius, Fulvius, and Aurelius).
This place is spatially isolated from other areas, so a Ring of Ainz Ooal Gown is necessary to enter the Treasury. On the other hand, the air in the Treasury is toxic and thus, anyone without poison immunity or items granting it will die within three steps.
- Area Guardian: Pandora's Actor
- Known Areas
As a dungeon, the Great Tomb of Nazarick has numerous systems incorporated in its data that regulate its maintenance and defense.
Administration System: In order to gain access to this system, it requires Ainz saying the keywords, which are "Master Source — Open." It records the daily maintenance costs, the numbers and types of vassals or NPCs present, all sorts of magical traps and gimmicks, and so on. In other words, it can record the names of all the NPCs made by the guild members. One can exert large-scale control over them all from here. If it could still function like in YGGDRASIL, one could access this system from anywhere. However, after some experimentation, Ainz finds out that in the New World, the system can only be operated from the heart of the dungeon, the Throne Room. Additionally, the system is also capable of verifying an NPC's current allegiance.
Defense System: The Great Tomb of Nazarick has a defense system managed by Albedo in order to keep invaders occupied upon entering the various floors from within inside the tomb's domain itself. If Ainz gives Albedo the command to do so, she can even use booby traps that cost money. This includes spraying poisonous gas or create sudden floods of the undead. Avoiding the use of money to activate traps, however, Albedo can instead use the defense system for POPs and traps with serfs. After Nazarick is transported into the New World, friendly fire is no longer disabled like it was in the game. As a result, if someone like Albedo and the others attempt to observe Ainz through surveillance magic, the latter will automatically respond in kind with a magical counterattack of his own. In the worst-case scenario, if it does happen, the counterattack will be overlapped with Nazarick’s defensive network, leaving both sides clashing against one another. According to Ainz, it can lead to unnecessary damage for both him and Nazarick as they can become prone to getting hit by magical attacks from one another if not handled carefully.
Mercenary System: Otherwise, it is also known as the automatic spawn system. This system only produces monsters that are level 30 at most. They were the POPs, in other words, monsters that are automatically spawned by it from within YGGDRASIL. On the other hand, there are other types of monsters much higher in level than 30 alone, which can also be summoned, but only through YGGDRASIL's gold coins. For instance, Hanzo, a level 80, can be summoned along with Lip Bug or even Greater Doppelgängers. Ainz states that the Mercenary NPCs have poor management of aggro. According to Ainz, the high-level vassals that the Floor Guardians bring along were beings created through YGGDRASIL’s mercenary system and required expenditures of in-game currency or real money. The former can be created again for free if they are destroyed, but the money spent on the latter would be wasted if they died.
Ariadne System: Back in YGGDRASIL, this system could only be triggered if the invaders were to be locked up. It was a system that checks the validity of a created base. However, there was no guarantee whether or not this rule still applied in the New World. In order to stop one from creating such an invincible fortress, it was a reason why Ariadne's surveillance system existed for this sole purpose. Other things Ariadne inspected were the distance one could travel inside, how many doors there were and various other rules on base construction that were set in detail. Dungeons that violated the rules would be flagged by the YGGDRASIL system and fined. As a result, guild funds would be deducted gradually at a visible rate. For Nazarick, however, such problems are already solved by the 5th and 6th levels due to the guild having to pay a lot to widen the dungeon, so it can be maintained this long until now.
Patrol System: Albedo designed this system with the purpose of deliberately leaving gaps in the surface patrol routes to create opportunities suitable for invasion. This is because it has been considered that the enemy would immediately pounce on any weaknesses in the security system once they are found and draw up plans designed to capitalize on them. However, any such gaps in Nazarick’s patrols are under remote observation, which means that there is no actual weakness. This is a strategy to make the enemy think they had exploited the vulnerability and thus, lure them into a trap.
Circular Notice System: It is a courier message system devised and created by the ruler of the Great Tomb of Nazarick, Ainz Ooal Gown, himself. The function of this memo folder will accessibly allow Floor Guardians to be able to write down non-urgent messages and communicate with each other. However, there has been no other system similar to its existence until now.
- "Underground Large Grave of Nazarick" is the official English name, following the Picture in Volume 1.
- In the Pure Pure Pleiades series, there is a workshop that is used by Shizu. Though it's unknown which floor it resides in. 
- One of the World Items defending the Great Tomb of Nazarick had the effect of protecting against divination spells such as surveillance.
- In YGGDRASIL, Nazarick was located in Helheim, a cloudy, dark cold world without daylight.
- Ainz and Shalltear are the ones who handled lone intruders whenever they invaded the Great Tomb of Nazarick.
- According to Ainz, operating environmental effects in the Great Tomb of Nazarick requires money to do so, so it has been left deactivated.
- Jircniv calls the Great Tomb of Nazarick as a "Demon King's Castle" because of the multiple non-humans and demi-human races that reside there.
- As for Guardians, the Tomb has a limited data quota available for its customization. Nazarick players could buy cash items to expand the amount of data.
- The workers who explored the Great Tomb of Nazarick structurally and functionally said that it is close to a relic of an ancient past comparable to the era of the Eight Greed Kings 500 years ago.
- Anyone who wanted to go outside the Great Tomb of Nazarick would need to be accompanied by at least five levels 75 servants or higher.
- In the Overlord Bonus Volume, despite Suzuki Satoru being transported into the New World alone, the Great Tomb of Nazarick arrived two hundred years later, which is where the present setting of the main series starts off at. Nazarick ended up destroying three surrounding human nations simultaneously.
- In Mass for the Dead, the Great Tomb of Nazarick suffers extensive damage that required considerable resources to restore.
- The majority of the denizens that live and reside within Nazarick since gaining sentience in the New World generally view humans as a type of food, plaything, toy, or lower life-form due to their largely heteromorphic/demi-human population. However, despite this generally abysmal attitude to humanity, there are a few exceptions of a few denizens who are at least merciful to humans or have at least a better view of them in comparison to their comrades.
|Roble Holy Kingdom|