- "The Seventh Floor Guardian Demiurge, at your command."
- — Demiurge's Introduction
In the New World, under the guise known as Jaldabaoth, a powerful Demon Emperor, he led his demon army to and started a battle in the Royal Capital of the Re-Estize Kingdom and also led the demi-human coalition in an assault on the Roble Holy Kingdom.
About 1.8 meters tall, Demiurge is a demon with dark skin and nicely combed black hair. Behind the round glasses are eyes so squinted that they are not normally visible. Wearing a British suit with a tie, he is dressed like a gentleman. Behind his back is a silver tail, covered with metal plates and six long spikes at the end.
When in his humanoid form, Demiurge's pair of eyes lack eyeballs, in fact, shining jewels with numerous small cuts take the place of his eyeballs.
Since he is a demon, Demiurge is considered to be one of the cruelest members in Nazarick, taking great joy in the suffering of other races. For that reason, he enthusiastically performs magic experiments on the prisoners sent to him, viewing them as nothing less than toys for his own amusement. In other words, he passionately enjoys inciting hateful feelings and treacherous thoughts among the victims of his experiments. As the Commander of the NPC defenses, he has a high level of intelligence and strategic thinking.
Demiurge works closely with the other servants of Nazarick and is loyal to the creators, thinking of them as important companions. However, due to their conflicting personalities shared with their respective creators, he and Sebas Tian do not appear to get along well with each other. Though Demiurge is a sadistic demon that thrives on the pain of other creatures, he has a more artistic side to him. He is a skilled carpenter and artisan, with hobbies of crafting beautiful works of art. Such artwork is done by using victims from his experiments as tools.
On the other hand, his kindness is genuine when directed to his fellow denizens of Nazarick. He is considered to be a very gentle person when it comes to conversing with his friends. However, to everyone else, his kindness is merely the care he gives to his tools.
Demiurge was created by Ulbert Alain Odle and is one of the Floor Guardians of the Great Tomb of Nazarick.
The Undead King Arc
- Main article: The Undead King Arc
When Momonga calls for the Floor Guardians to meet on the 6th Floor of the Amphitheater, Demiurge is the last one among them to arrive. After paying his respects to the Supreme Being, he ponders to both Mare and Cocytus about the future of Nazarick from this moment forward. More so, wondering whether or not Momonga will leave a successor to carry the throne.
While waiting for Albedo on the 1st Floor, Demiurge discovers Momonga attempting to sneak out of the tomb in a dark warrior outfit. Persuading Momonga to take at least one person along, he accompanies his master as they appreciate the world around them. When Momonga jokes about conquering the world, he seriously offers to ready the armies of Nazarick to present it as a gift.
After Momonga announces his goals to the NPCs, Albedo has Demiurge relay the words Momonga imparted to him earlier. Misunderstanding Momonga's true intentions, he tells everyone present that their master's wish is to claim the world for the glory of Nazarick.
The Emissary of the King Arc
- Main article: The Emissary of the King Arc
Demiurge is seen receiving a messenger from Ainz who relays the question about what Demiurge desires. The demon humbly states that serving the will of his master is fulfillment enough and questions whether this is a test. Demiurge then decides that he desires to become the marshal of the skies once Ainz's plans for world conquest comes to fruition.
The Dark Warrior Arc
- Main article: The Dark Warrior Arc
Having been given a mission by Ainz, Demiurge proceeds to find Albedo to announce his departure. Understanding of her nature, he immediately goes to Ainz's bedroom and finds Albedo squirming under the sheets. Listening to her delusions of having Ainz's children, he gives her a tip that the Supreme Beings like boys to wear girls' clothes due to a previous misunderstanding he heard from them. Exasperated and uneasy, he notifies her of the other Floor Guardians' absence and the human experiments being conducted on the Sunlight Scripture before leaving.
The Bloody Valkyrie Arc
- Main article: The Bloody Valkyrie Arc
Shocked and angry after discovering that Ainz intends to fight Shalltear, Demiurge berates Albedo for letting him go alone. Extremely worried that Nazarick may lose its last master, he tells her and Cocytus that they must bring him back by any means necessary. Demiurge declares that he will gather his men to do so, but is stopped by Cocytus, who has been ordered to restrain him. Enraged, he tells Albedo that she must resign from her position as Overseer if anything bad is to happen to Ainz.
When Ainz emerges victorious from his battle, Demiurge and the other Floor Guardians beg him to never do such a thing again and to allow them to handle any future incidents from now on.
The Show Must Go On!
- Main article: The Show Must Go On! Arc
During a meeting on fringe benefits with Ainz and the Floor Guardians, Demiurge requests a new torture room. After the meeting is abruptly ended due to Albedo's and Shalltear's bickering, he has a private meeting with Ainz on the 1st Floor. He believes that Ainz's institution to implement the fringe benefits system is to gauge the loyalties of each of his subordinates.
Later on, when Albedo engages in a scheme to steal a kiss from Ainz through a theatre play of Romeo and Juliet, Shalltear brings it to his attention. He agrees with her that Albedo selecting herself as the main female lead is unfair and with Ainz's permission, they conduct an audition for the role of Juliet.
In the end, though, Demiurge disqualifies both of them, since they have been caught bribing Aura for her vote. Demiurge's role is to ensure that neither of the two will gain the role no matter what the outcome is, as it will create future conflict if one of them wins the position either way.
The Sealed Evil Tree Arc
- Main article: The Sealed Evil Tree Arc
Demiurge, alongside the other Floor Guardians, is ordered to fight together against Zy'tl Q'ae and to secure the herb and to complete Ainz's adventurer quest from Pluton Ainzach.
The Lizard Man Heroes Arc
- Main article: The Lizard Man Heroes Arc
Demiurge is seen working alongside Pulcinella in an undisclosed location skinning living creatures of their hides. He, along with the other Floor Guardians, threaten and intimidate the Lizardmen so that they become a part of Nazarick. He uses his magic to forcefully make Shasuryu Shasha and Zaryusu Shasha bow down in front of Ainz Ooal Gown. After taking their leave to the Monument of Ruin, Demiurge presents to Ainz a throne made entirely of bones. Rather than sit upon the demon's masterpiece, Ainz chooses to use Shalltear as a seat, making the demon feel inspired.
The Two Leaders Arc
- Main article: The Two Leaders Arc
He and the other male Floor Guardians go for a bath together. However, midway through, Albedo and Shalltear attempt to get in and are assaulted by the Lion Golems. As a result, Ainz and the male Floor Guardians prepare to help them out while wishing for a peaceful bath the next time they have another one again.
The Dark Hero's Story Arc
- Main article: The Dark Hero's Story Arc
During the Floor Guardians' meeting on what to ask Ainz as compensation, the subject of clothing is brought up. Upon hearing this, Demiurge becomes interested in the idea of acquiring some new styles of suits to wear.
Ainz Raises Money Arc
- Main article: Ainz Raises Money Arc
Demiurge is present with his fellow Floor Guardians at a meeting with their master. During the meeting, when Ainz inquires which Floor Guardian made the suggestion of the "Bathing Together" voucher, he immediately suspects it was Albedo. However, Demiurge states that he was actually the one who came up with that idea.
During the second meeting, Demiurge tells Ainz that he has yet to use the gold coins and is instead planning to invest them, unlike the rest of the other Guardians. Demiurge states that he is going to begin his investigation over what sort of traders there are in the vicinity and requests his master that he be given more time if permitted.
During a meeting with Floor Guardians, Sebas, and Narberal, Demiurge insists that there could be a hidden meaning behind why they were given exactly three gold coins. He instantly convinces the rest of the Guardians that Ainz must have wanted them to decipher something by giving them "not two or four, but exactly three golden coins."
When Aura makes fun of Shalltear's amazing analysis over the gold coins, Demiurge follows suit by stating that she may be a Doppelgänger in disguise. Considering this idea, it also makes Demiurge think about a plan that requires installing a doppelgänger-puppet king in the Roble Holy Kingdom.
During another meeting with Ainz, Demiurge presents his master with a statue of Momon riding on top of Hamsuke that he had bought. He later then recognizes the name of this statue, which is called "The Hero Momon and his underling Hamsuke."
Table Game to Understand Humans Arc
- Main article: Table Game to Understand Humans Arc
The Men in the Kingdom Arc
- Main article: The Men in the Kingdom Arc
Once Solution reports Sebas' possible betrayal, Demiurge suggests that they take caution and have Pandora's Actor masquerade as Ainz in order to test his loyalty. He is present along with Victim and Cocytus in testing Sebas' loyalty by ordering him to kill Tuare while having Cocytus confirm if he's delivering the killing blow. After that, he has a bit of quarrel with Sebas concerning Tuare's fate, which makes Ainz remember Touch Me and Ulbert's quarrels in the past. Also, Demiurge, with Ainz' approval, goes to investigate something strange that Sebas detailed in one of his reports (Possibly concerning the Golden Princess).
When Tuare is kidnapped, Demiurge brings Entoma, Mare, and Shalltear along with his Evil Lords to punish the Eight Fingers and to initiate Operation Gehenna, where he is appointed the commander. During this time, he tells all of Nazarick's forces gathered in the capital to spare one human (possibly Climb). With that said, he later sends Nazarick's forces to attack several locations, including a new location added at the last minute.
Demiurge, as Jaldabaoth, also saves Entoma before she is killed by Evileye, Gagaran, and Tia. Using Evileye as the standard for measuring their group's strength, he launches an attack that immediately kills both Gagaran and Tia. Before he finishes off Evileye, Momon steps in and confronts him. He later retreats after giving false information to Evileye and exchanging several blows with Momon. He then raises a wall of fire, Flames of Gehenna, on the capital's warehouse district, and has his Evil Lords summon a demon army, which then proceeds to kidnap citizens and raid the storehouses.
When he engages Momon again in combat, they arrive at a location that was prepared beforehand, where they put aside their charade and discuss Demiurge's plan. His plan is to attack Eight Fingers while covering his tracks using Jaldabaoth as a cover. He will also use his cover as Jaldabaoth to obtain a great number of resources, capture humans, and raise Momon's fame in the Kingdom. He is about to leave an item containing the 10th tier spell, "Armageddon Evil" to serve as Jaldabaoth's purpose of invading the capital, which was created by his creator, Ulbert. However, Ainz gives him another item to replace it, which is the prototype of the previous item that was also made by Ulbert to serve as the decoy instead. Finally, the two continue their battle from where they left off, with Momon seemingly winning the battle against him. Thereafter, Jaldabaoth then withdraws his forces and Momon becomes the Kingdom's national hero.
The Invaders of the Large Tomb Arc
- Main article: The Invaders of the Large Tomb Arc
In the Great Tomb of Nazarick, Ainz gathers all of the custom NPCs and strong servants in the Throne Hall. From the convention, Demiurge emphasizes their final objective: taking over the world and suggests that they make Nazarick an independent nation.
The Magic Caster of Destroy Arc
- Main article: The Magic Caster of Destroy Arc
Demiurge, in his imp form, is present in the Throne Hall during a visit by the Baharuth Empire's delegation. While the negotiation is going on, Ainz asks him to act as Nazarick's ambassador. After the delegation leaves Nazarick, Ainz and the Floor Guardians hold a meeting and listen to Demiurge's insight of how the emperor is planning to betray them.
The Ruler of Conspiracy Arc
- Main article: The Ruler of Conspiracy Arc
Demiurge returns from the Holy Kingdom and intends to meet up with Ainz, only to find Albedo in his master's office. There, Demiurge learns the news of his master's accomplishment from Albedo that leaves him utterly shocked on the fact that the Empire has sent a petition, earlier than expected, offering to be vassalage to the Sorcerer Kingdom.
The best method that he can devise to make the Empire a vassal state will require the estimated time span of at least a month to complete successfully. However, it only takes his master three days at most with no apparent casualties no less to subjugate the Empire under their rule, which leaves him speechless and in awe.
Subsequently, it motivates him to work even harder and affirms his belief that there are no other Supreme Beings in the guild who could've led them this far, but Ainz alone. He and Albedo are given the task to handle the vassalage process of the Baharuth Empire and the Re-Estize Kingdom as well before Ainz returns.
The Craftsman of Dwarf Arc
- Main article: The Craftsman of Dwarf Arc
Demiurge has reported his preparations and activities from the Holy Kingdom to Ainz in full detail, which the latter praises him for accomplishing. Although Demiurge was thankful for the praise, he could not hope to compare his accomplishments to Ainz's, believing that the undead has done much better unlike him. He recognizes Ainz's feats such as securing a place in the Dwarves’ hearts.
After that topic was done, he discusses the vassalization of the Empire which is proceeding accordingly while Ainz was gone and has also drawn up a draft for it. Demiurge questions Ainz, on how far into the future as he predicted the course of the Sorcerer Kingdom will move forward from here on out. To his shock, Demiurge is left utterly bewildered by Ainz's answer being "ten thousand years" that he didn't consider it to be of that magnitude so far ahead in the near future. He told Ainz that a method of utilizing the undead as laborers around must surely be to encourage the other nations to rely on him instead of viewing their troops as dangerous elements.
Awed by Ainz's ambition, he concluded that this must have been the right answer all along for him to look at the world from such a wide-angle. Demiurge proceeds on to the regards the unknown event will take place during the fall and winter seasons. Despite Ainz's approval, he speculated that the event may not go so smoothly as planned when there might be some discrepancies along the way. Leaving aside the matter over Empire's vassalization for another time, he listens to a request from Ainz on wanting a copy of his plan given to him which he accepted.
Nazarick Mythology Arc
- Main article: Nazarick Mythology Arc
Demiurge attended a meeting to create a mythology of his master in order to solidify his hold over the masses. In his myth story, the world was once dominated by a terrifying demon force and was literally hell on Earth. A savior came in the form of Ainz Oal Gown who defeated the demon army with his magic. The people wished for their savior to lead them but declined as the demons were not completely wiped out. In order to defeat them for good, he sets out to look for greater power and promises to return. Now that Ainz has return Demiurge states that the people will serve Ainz as his livestock. The last part of Demiurge's story stuns Ainz and the rest of his colleagues. Demiurge and Sebas nearly argue, until and Albedo, Shalltear remind them that they should take care that they are in the presence of the Supreme Being.
The Paladin of the Holy Kingdom Arc
After stating his intentions at a parley with the human general in command of the Great Wall, he used his magic to summon a meteor that breached the barrier that protected the kingdom. He ordered his demi-human slaves to begin their attack and for his demons to support them.
At Kalinsha, he infiltrated the city and began a spree of carnage to attract the attention of the paladins located there. When Remedios and Calca assembled before him, Demiurge noted that none were of strength similar to the warrior he fought in the Re-Estize Kingdom. Once he finished speaking, he was attacked from behind by adventurers who use Invisibility magic. However, their group assault did not do any harm to him while he, in turn, sprouted a set of strange wings that impaled some of them to death. Later, Remedios join the battle against Demiurge, attacking him alongside the aid of Kelart, Calca, and various angels. During the course of the fight, he retreated back to a nearby house and then switched places with the summoned Evil Lord Wrath to fight in his stead.
Later on, he and Albedo would meet up with their master in a log cabin to hold a discussion about their current objective. Ainz states that he is planning to implement flaws in Demiurge's plan as well as faking his death. Despite his initial shock of Ainz's plan, the demon sees it to be crucial to prepare the other subjects of Nazarick.
The Witch of the Falling Kingdom Arc
- Main article: The Witch of the Falling Kingdom Arc
According to Albedo, as the operations against the Roble Holy Kingdom drew to an end, she noted how Demiurge has been busy traveling far and wide outside the tomb to set up an intelligence agency with Nazarick/Sorcerer Kingdom at its center. She believes Demiurge is most likely the person who will be assigned as the head of such organization that is being planned out and prepared for by him.
In the Audience Room, Demiurge was present with the other Floor Guardians. There he silently watches as Shalltear bring Hilma Cygnaeus to present his master Ainz a witness who can explain their questions about the attack on the Sorcerer Kingdom's trade caravan of grains. Every Floor Guardian including Demiurge during the meeting approved of the punishment Ainz has suggested for Hilma Cygnaeus to do. Once that matter was concluded, discussion about Philip resumes where it left off while the Overseer explains their strategy for the Fall of the Re-Estize Kingdom.
When Ainz states that he believes Philip did what he did without thinking it through first, Demiurge agreed with his master's opinion, seeing the noble being an idiot which could explain his action. He reasonably affirmed Ainz's idea to Albedo, with support from the elf twins who also agreed with what their master say. As Ainz offers the other Floor Guardians a chance to speak out, Aura and Cocytus each had a question to ask regarding the strategy of their operation and why they have not done it differently during the start to get rid of that nobleman. For Aura, Demiurge reasoned with her on how and why they cannot use any other noblemen out there but Philip alone, explaining the various risks involved if they were to take on such approach.
As for Cocytus, Demiurge reasoned with him on having already recruited someone like that which was blackmailing Philip's father, Baron Montserrat. Not just that nobleman alone, but Demiurge also show his support to Cocytus's way of thinking. He had taken into consideration that sparing an expendable portion of the nobility who were at least somewhat capable, talented or hard-working ascetics should be worthy for Ainz to have rule over. According to Demiurge, this was why they formed a New Faction in the Re-Estize Kingdom which was filled with incompetent people to use as a scapegoat on killing off. He informed Cocytus that they received intel on the talented people of that nation as well as also having collected intel of their own directly from the source.
Next up was Shalltear who believes Philip's attack on their caravan constitutes action from the Sorcerer Kingdom. Demiurge also agrees with her thoughts on it being used as a casus belli to justify their planned invasion of the Re-Estize Kingdom. He inquires others including the former to suggest what punishment they should do in response against that attack from the Re-Estize Kingdom, particularly Philip on their nation.
Agreeing to both Aura and Mare's response of killing Philip, he asks the rest of the Floor Guardians if giving him a death sentence will only end there, which Cocytus refuses as the punishment should extend further to the perpetrator's master.
With everyone's thoughts taken into consideration, Demiurge came to acknowledge Shalltear's judgement on the matter, thinking that more appropriate punishments are in order to be handed out to the entire Re-Estize Kingdom rather than just Philip alone. He retold Ainz's past words to the rest of the Floor Guardians, informing his colleagues that what their master is looking to rule over is not a ruined country and suggested they must avoid creating that kind of situation with the Re-Estize Kingdom. For that reason, Demiurge believes it was best not to punish the whole people of the Kingdom entirely. Rather, he felt the Sorcerer Kingdom needs to make a painful example out of the Re-Estize Kingdom in order to show the surrounding nations to not take them lightly or else they may suffer the same fate.
A month later after the Sorcerer Kingdom's declaration of war against the Re-Estize Kingdom, Demiurge had contributed to the campaign by deftly managing everything so that not a single piece of intel was leaked. This is noted when the Re-Estize Kingdom have not noticed the Sorcerer Kingdom's invasion at all, still thinking that the latter's forces are still holed up in E-Rantel. Because of that, his work was commented by Ainz during a meeting with the Floor Guardians in Nazarick. According to Demiurge, they have fully established surveillance on every street, while having also sent Shadow Demons to scout out the neighboring cities. Demiurge notes that the only thing they need to be wary of outside their surveillance is the hermits and druids who are not part of civilization. As a result, he was given the task by his master to discuss the matter with Albedo, strengthen the surveillance net until those he has mentioned can also be found.
- In the Web Novel, Demiurge is the Overseer of the Floor Guardians instead of Albedo, who doesn't exist. Also, Maruyama states that Demiurge can conquer the continent in about 5 years, though he isn’t exactly sure how much damage Nazarick would sustain in the process.
- The name "Demiurge" is the name of a being responsible for the creation of the universe in. In Gnosticism and other theological systems, a heavenly being, subordinate to the Supreme Being, that is considered to be the controller of the material world and antagonistic to all that is purely spiritual.
- His assumed name "Jaldabaoth" is the name of a supernatural being considered to be a member of the Demiurges. The name Jaldabaoth means "traitor." It seems that Demiurge selected this name as he needed to fight against Momon with a fake identity.
- Demiurge believes that all boys in Nazarick should wear skirts, due to a misunderstanding with Mare.
- Demiurge commands seven custom-made demons. However, he was supposed to originally possess twelve of them. The names of the missing demons stated by Demiurge are Garira, Iabel, Belias, Kainon, and Abiretsia. Furthermore, when asked which domain Demiurge wishes to govern for himself after the world becomes Ainz's, he asked for the right to administer the sky on his behalf.
- Among all the people in Nazarick, Ainz and Albedo are the only people that Demiurge cannot read.
- After Demiurge's debut as Jaldabaoth in Re-Estize, various nations of the New World learn of his existence. However, Demiurge is disappointed that they have labeled him as an Archfiend rather than a Demon Emperor.
- When Maruyama was asked what would happen if Ulbert gave him the order to kill Momonga, he believed that the current Demiurge would gather all the NPCs in the Throne Room, then challenge Ainz to a head-on fight alone.
- (To Momonga): "A wise leader who makes decisions and acts on them quickly. Truly, a man worthy of the title 'inscrutable'."
- (To Mare about Momonga and his successor): "Any great leader requires a successor, no? Momonga-sama may have stayed with us until the end, but if he loses interest in us one day, he may leave for another place like the rest of the Supreme Beings. Thus, there is a need for a successor to whom we can pledge our loyalty."
- (To Momonga about world conquest):"If you wish, I will immediately bring the armies of Nazarick and take this jewel box. Presenting this gift to my beloved Momonga-sama would be Demiurge’s greatest honor.”
- (To Ainz's Death Knight about the 7th Floor): "This land, this dominion was designed and created for me by Ulbert-sama, so it contains everything I need to perform my function. Indeed, it may appear as a mere ruin to you, and the center where we stand may seem like a little more than a barren waste, but many things are hidden within it. These tumbled ruins are the true expression of Ulbert-sama's love."
- (To Albedo about human experimentation): "First are the healing magic tests. When we cut off an arm and heal the wound with magic, the severed hand disappears. Now, if we had them eat the severed arm and then healed the wound, would the nutrients derived from the arm vanish? If we repeated this over and over again, would the people who ate the arms starve to death?"
- (To Albedo concerning his experiment on humans): "In addition, we allow them to vote on who should become the others' food, and who should be the one to cut off the food's limbs with a blunt ax. We do so by a registered vote."
- (To Albedo in regard to the human experiment): "But of course. There will be a hierarchy among the prisoners, from those who will become food and have their limbs chopped off, to those who will chop the limbs off, and those who will eat those limbs. This creates hatred, and once they are gripped by that hatred, all we need to do is gently urge on the ones who were used as food. This encourages them to revolt, and the effects are very obvious. Beings that hate everything are truly fearsome."
- (To Albedo about Humans): "That is what makes it interesting. You could enjoy the humans in that way too, could you not, Albedo? All you need to do is treat them as toys."
- (To Albedo about their creators' preference): "Then. I will be off. Right...since you wanted to make boys' clothes, you might want to know this. Did you know that the Supreme Beings seem to prefer boys in girl’s clothing?"
- (To Albedo about Ainz): "This is still too irrational, naive; a purely emotional judgment. Ainz-sama is the last Supreme Being who remains here. Knowing that he faces a situation where his life may be in peril, it is our responsibility to come up with a plan to remove that danger. Even if we will be blamed afterward, even if we will have to sacrifice our lives, we ought to step forward and act, right?"
- (To Ainz): "Of course, we are butchering the dead livestock and feeding it to other livestock. Since it would be difficult to eat whole, we grind it up first."
- (To Ainz): "...No, Ainz-sama's schemes are elaborate and farsighted. I cannot hope to compare. And I believe what I understand is only a portion of your plans."
- (To the Floor Guardians and other NPCs about Jircniv): "...And so, I think the Emperor will try to put a scheme like that into practice. If he were more foolish, his actions might fall outside the predicted range, but I think the chances of that will be low. Reading the movements of a slightly-above-average intellect that imagines himself a genius is easier than trying to predict the actions of a complete moron."
- (To the Floor Guardians and other NPCs about Renner): "...Perhaps we could use the Golden Princess to achieve similar effects, but that would be a waste of a trump card. She is a human being who is just as interesting ―no, perhaps even more so― than what I have determined from analysis of Sebas' intelligence reports. She will be an excellent pawn."
- (To Albedo about Ainz): "I desire to display my achievements to Ainz-sama, so I do not wish to use such methods to contact him. While I can receive his praise through a [Message], in the end, I would still prefer to hear his voice in person. That is all...Is that not the shared dream for all in Nazarick?"
- (To Albedo): "As, as expected of Ainz-sama. Someone like me could not hope to even approach him. He is truly a peerless and perfect master. Nobody else could have led the Supreme Beings. I cannot help but envy Pandora's Actor, even if just a little."
- (To Cocytus): "Exactly, you're completely correct, Cocytus. To Ainz-sama, someone who's capable of planning on the scale of millennia and myriad years into the future, something on the scale of a few years is nothing."