- "Overseer of the Floor Guardians Albedo, at your command."
- - Albedo's Introduction
Albedo (アルベド) is the Overseer of the Guardians of the Great Tomb of Nazarick. She is in charge of the general management and supervises the activities of the seven Floor Guardians, meaning that she ranks above the other NPCs in Nazarick. She is the middle sister of the older sister Nigredo and younger sister Rubedo. Along with her sisters, she was created by Tabula Smaragdina.
An impeccable beauty, Albedo is a woman with lustrous jet-black hair and the face of a goddess. She has golden irises and vertically split pupils; on her left and right temples are two thick horns protruding crookedly, and on her waist are a pair of black angel wings.
Albedo wears a pure white dress with silky gloves covering her slender hands and a golden spiderweb necklace that covers her shoulders and chest. In combat, she wears an impressive black full plate armor with a unique helm and carries a battle-ax with her.
Extremely loyal and in love, Albedo is infatuated with Ainz as programmed by him, often showing obsessive tendencies when it comes to his affairs. She is always vying for Ainz's affection, showcasing outbursts of jealousy whenever anyone else appears to be getting close to him. Yet despite this, she states that as the Supreme Ruler, it would be bizarre for him to only take one wife, implying that she would be content with him taking others as wives as long as she was the one he loves the most.
Among all the Guardians, she is the most vocal when it comes to expressing her opinions. She will openly denounce any statement or action she deems inappropriate, reaching the point where Ainz sometimes considers it an annoyance.
As the Overseer of the Floor Guardians, she is very levelheaded. Albedo can make calm and collected judgments that even Ainz sometimes doesn't think of. She takes Ainz's orders as a top priority and absolute, punishing anyone, even a Floor Guardian, who'd dare to belittle his orders. According to Ainz, he can sense that Albedo has a hatred for humans, whom she calls an inferior species.
Albedo and her other sisters were created by Tabula Smaragdina. She was originally programmed to be a slut, but Momonga altered her personality and changed her setting to be madly in love with him instead.
As the Guardian Overseer of Nazarick, she had to keep in her mind where every Floor Guardian was at all times.
She is a demoness who holds the title of Guardian Overseer, which is the highest-ranking position in the Great Underground Tomb of Nazarick. With flowing raven hair and golden pupils, her beauty could bewitch a nation.
She is proud of her position and confronts intruders as a confident, dignified superior being.
Regardless of how brilliant or brave her foes are, or whether she considers them strong, she will never acknowledge them as being equal to herself.
This is because she understands the meaning of the position bestowed upon her.
Her abilities befit the title of Guardian Overseer, with outstanding intelligence and combat ability.
That said, she is not omnicompetent. For instance, in pure wits, Demiurge is her superior, while Shalltear is superior in fighting ability. Yet, nobody in Nazarick can rival her administrative ability.
In addition, her feminine skills -- particularly those pertaining to being a housewife -- are excellent, and during her free time, she can be seen sweeping, sewing, and so on.
Though the reason is unknown, she enjoys cleanliness and her desire for such frequently drives her to clean things up.
In particular, her ability to sort out bookshelves knows no peer.
However, she recognizes the possessions of others as belonging to them, so she rarely insists on cleaning up.
That said, the items accumulated through her collector’s habit are typically very messy.
Therefore, it remains to be seen whether she actually likes being tidy.
This might well be an act -- in order to appear as the perfect woman -- though the truth of that is unknown. It is too scary to confirm.
She always has a gentle smile on her, and her elegant way of speech has made many people think she is a goddess or an angel.
That mistake is not particularly laughable, given that she is surrounded by that sort of atmosphere and acts in an appropriate way.
The fact is, it would not be wrong to view her in that way.
She was originally planned to be an angel of the highest order, but she ended up with a greatly distorted appearance after being fused with a monster from the land of dreams.
Because of that, her personality is similarly twisted, being merciless and cruel, cunning and savage. She gives her enemies despair and revels in their agonizing deaths.
Her usual expression seems to be there to suppress the urges which flow from her heart -- a mask which exists to conceals her desire to perform ruthless acts upon the weak.
If the mask breaks, she would probably end up being like Empress Lu Zhi or Empress Wu Zetian.
However, that only applies when dealing with those not of Nazarick.
Fortunately for those who do not serve Nazarick, one can take comfort in the fact that the mask is very sturdy and will not break easily.
She feels very strongly about her duties as the Guardian Overseer of the Great Underground Tomb of Nazarick.
Naturally, the fact that she has ears everywhere listening for information goes without saying.
In addition, she smiles all the time -- to the point where one might say she does not show any other emotion.
Her smile is nothing more than a poker face to her.
She can also show emotions like anger, grimaces, and fake tears.
Her sophisticated lady’s face will not break, even when she is torturing the fools who oppose her.
By her appearance alone, she is a perfect beauty.
Incidentally, she is a slut She is in love with Momonga.
The Undead King Arc
- Main article: The Undead King Arc
Moments before YGGDRASIL is expected to shut down, Momonga changed Albedo's character information to be in love with him as a joke. Albedo is the first NPC to speak to Momonga when the Great Tomb of Nazarick is transported to the New World. Confused at his strange behavior, Albedo asks if he required anything of her. Ainz orders her to assemble the Floor Guardians on the 6th Floor. She and Demiurge are the last Floor Guardians to arrive. They introduce themselves and pledge their absolute loyalty to Momonga.
Albedo accompanies Ainz to save Carne Village and also fight the Sunlight Scripture. After that, they return to Nazarick. Albedo and other Floor Guardians prepare for their own plan on taking over the world for Ainz.
The Emissary of the King Arc
- Main article: The Emissary of the King Arc
Albedo is visited by Ainz, who is taking a survey on his subject's relationships and desires. Being the last on his list, Ainz realizes that she has been living in the Throne Room since her creation. He resolves to give Albedo a room of her own, despite Albedo believing her place is in the Throne Room. But she quickly accepts, thinking she will be staying in Ainz's room, but she is declined. Ainz grants her a room on the 9th Floor as she gathers her belongings from a hidden wall in the chamber. She shows an embarrassed Ainz that it contains lingerie that had been given to her by Tabula. In her new room, Albedo takes out the flag of Ainz Ooal Gown and begins desecrating it, cursing it and 'them' for taking her lover's name.
The Dark Warrior Arc
- Main article: The Dark Warrior Arc
Albedo is left in charge of managing Nazarick while Ainz is away gathering more information as an adventurer at E-Rantel. She is seen lying naked in Ainz's bed when Narberal Gamma contacts her, updating her on Ainz's status. She is appalled when she hears that Narberal is sharing a room with Ainz.
The Bloody Valkyrie Arc
- Main article: The Bloody Valkyrie Arc
Albedo informs Ainz that Shalltear has rebelled. Albedo accompanies Ainz to visit Nigredo on the fifth floor and tells her to locate Shalltear. She is ordered to dispose of Kralgra, who ignored Ainz's advice. After the Wish Upon a Star spell fails, Aldedo tells Ainz to retreat back to Nazarick.
Albedo accompanies Ainz to the Treasury to get a World Item. She encounters someone who she thinks is her creator, Tabula Smaragdina, but discovers that it isn't him. It's Pandora's Actor, Ainz's personal NPC creation. She tries to persuade Ainz to never leave Nazarick and Ainz reassures her that he will kill Shalltear. Ainz orders Albedo to restrain anyone who tries to intervene in his fight with Shalltear. She restrains and tells Demiurge that Ainz will emerge victorious against Shalltear.
After the revival of Shalltear, Albedo and the other Floor Guardians beg Ainz to never do such a thing again and to allow them to handle any future incidents that may come.
The Show Must Go On!
- Main article: The Show Must Go On! Arc
Albedo sneaks into Ainz's chambers and overhears her master’s lamentation of his acting skills. The Overseer believes it to be some sort of class he wishes to improve, organizes Nazarick's first theatre production. She selects the play Romeo and Juliet and is intending to have the role of the latter while Ainz plays the former. Albedo intends to steal a kiss from Ainz, but her plan is discovered by Shalltear, who brings it to the attention of Ainz. Demiurge also agrees that the selection of the female protagonist needs to be fair and organizes auditions for the role. Albedo, undeterred by the spoiling of her plan, attempts to bribe one of the judges, Aura, to vote for her. In the end, after both her and Shalltear's performances, the two are disqualified after their bribery is brought to light.
The Sealed Evil Tree Arc
- Main article: The Sealed Evil Tree Arc
The Lizard Man Heroes Arc
- Main article: The Lizard Man Heroes Arc
When she hears Cocytus' suggestion to spare the lizardman, she threatens him for disobeying Ainz's order, but Ainz restrains her and complies with Cocytus' suggestion. Albedo, along with the other Floor Guardians, threatens and intimidates the lizardman so that they become part of Nazarick.
The Search for Hamsuke Arc
- Main article: The Search for Hamsuke Arc
Albedo informs Ainz that Narberal Gamma wishes to see him. Learning of the disappearance of Hamsuke from Narberal, Albedo suggests a search be conducted in order to locate her, to which Ainz agrees.
When Albedo and Shalltear begin to bicker with one another during their search, Ainz orders the two Floor Guardians to work together on improving their relationship. Eventually, she and Shalltear are able to find Hamsuke on the 2nd Floor but become frightened by Kyouhukou's insect guide riding on top of her head. As Hamsuke approaches the Floor Guardians, Albedo tells the beast to stop moving and she is later threatened by Aura and Shalltear. Hence, the beast immediately runs away in terror while she and her fellow Floor Guardians report back to Ainz that Hamsuke is still alive and well.
After fulfilling Ainz's order, Albedo, Shalltear, and Aura have chosen to take a break in Spa Resort Nazarick while relaxing. All seems peaceful until a brief conversation ensues between Albedo and Shalltear regarding the difference in their chest sizes that turns into a conflict among the two.
The Two Leaders Arc
- Main article: The Two Leaders Arc
While Albedo, Shalltear, and Aura are having their day off, they visit the small village in the 6th Floor and meet Sous-chef there. Outside of Ainz's bedroom, after hearing what Ainz had said, she tries to rape him but is restrained by Mare and several Eight-Edge Assassins. Afterwards, she is then given three days of solitary confinement.
Albedo and Shalltear wish to bath with Ainz, but he refuses and sends them to the ladies' bath. They try to go to the men's bath and are attacked by the Lion Golem, with the other male Guardians soon joining in.
The Dark Hero's Story Arc
- Main article: The Dark Hero's Story Arc
During the Floor Guardians' meeting on what to ask Ainz as a compensation, the Guardians are unable to come up with anything at first. Albedo suggests clothing could be asked, since the wardrobe she possesses contained only the same style of dresses and numerous lingerie given to her by her creator, Tabula. She conducts the meeting accordingly until Shalltear requests a coupon to sleep with Ainz, throwing the meeting in disarray. This results in the Guardians having to organize an auction for the said item as a template.
Ainz Raises Money Arc
- Main article: Ainz Raises Money Arc
Albedo is present with her fellow Floor Guardians at a meeting with their master. During this meeting, she makes a request to him that she and her fellow Floor Guardians do not require a salary for their work as they are only doing it out of loyalty. When Albedo begins stating her suggestion to her master, Demiurge abruptly interrupts and states that every suggestion has been rejected.
When Ainz gives her gold coins to spend in the human city, she uses them to buy some expensive cloth. Afterwards, she uses the cloth as a material to make a life-size dakimakura of her master and shows it to him. Her item ends up stirring discussion among the Floor Guardians about it. She then starts venting to Shalltear over the matter of what she does with the object during nightly hours.
During another meeting with Ainz, Albedo shows her master a talking Momon statuette she bought, insisting that she can now talk to it every day.
Table Game to Understand Humans Arc
- Main article: Table Game to Understand Humans Arc
The Men in the Kingdom Arc
- Main article: The Men in the Kingdom Arc
Before Operation Gehenna commences, Albedo stays behind in Nazarick while Demiurge and the others support Sebas Tian in rescuing Tuare from the Eight Fingers in the Royal Capital of the Re-Estize Kingdom.
The Invaders of the Large Tomb Arc
- Main article: The Invaders of the Large Tomb Arc
Albedo greets Ainz after he returns from the adventurer's campsite around the Tomb. She and her master monitor the workers and prepare their slaughter by Nazarick's defense system. She later accompanies Ainz as he confronts and fights Foresight, who have been teleported to the 6th floor Amphitheater.
The Magic Caster of Destroy Arc
- Main article: The Magic Caster of Destroy Arc
Albedo and the Floor Guardians meet Emperor Jircniv and his Imperial delegation before Ainz Ooal Gown. After the Imperial delegation leaves, Albedo suggests addressing Ainz as Supreme King. Despite the proposal, Ainz chooses Cocytus' suggestion and crowned himself as Sorcerer King, which makes Albedo a little disappointed since Ainz didn't choose her suggestion.
After the massacre at Katze Plains, Albedo accompanies Ainz and his army to E-Rantel. Albedo then decides to kill a young boy who is disturbing their arrival march but is stopped by Momon. Albedo threatens Momon and tells him to be Ainz's enforcer, which he accepts and they continue on their way.
The Pleiades Day Arc
- Main article: The Pleiades Day Arc
Albedo has taken an interest in researching whether the undead could experience strong emotions. Albedo has taken it upon herself (apparently) to experimentally investigate the matter.
She gathers various types of undead; mercenary, monsters, summoned undead, and POP in order to collect various data from all of them. She even includes Yuri in the experiment.
These experiments have begun with a special experiment just for Shalltear, and it sparks a great uproar between Albedo and Shalltear that soon spirals out of control. In the end, the experiment is terminated with no definite findings. Albedo, for her part in causing an uproar, is punished by cleaning with a mop.
The Ruler of Conspiracy Arc
- Main article: The Ruler of Conspiracy Arc
After the annexation of E-Rantel and its surrounding territory, Albedo has been training elder liches created by Ainz to act as administrators and public servants for the Sorcerer Kingdom. Later, she visits the Royal Capital to open formal relations with the Re-Estize Kingdom. Albedo makes the acquaintance of a minor noble by the name of Philip at the Royal Family's dinner party.
Albedo attends Philip's ball, which has been organized by Hilma of Eight Fingers. There she meets with the submissive executives to begin the transportation of resources and to be on the lookout for a powerful mind-control item. Later, she meets with Princess Renner to discuss the future plans for the Kingdom and has some girl talk with her.
Ainz’s Ambition Arc
- Main article: Ainz’s Ambition Arc
Albedo, hearing that Ainz Ooal Gown wishes to take a vacation, as he wants to provide an example to his subjects, misunderstands and assumes that he wishes to be serviced by the entire maid and butler staff. She calls forth not only the Homunculus Maids, but Pestonya Shortcake Wanko, Manservant, and even the Pleiades to Ainz's quarters. Since Albedo does not know how many maids he would need to help her master out during his vacation, she feels it prudent to have everyone take part.
Nazarick Mythology Arc
- Main article: Nazarick Mythology Arc
Albedo attends a meeting to create a mythology of her master in order to solidify his hold over the masses. In her myth story, the world was abandoned by the gods and nearly destroyed with the humans facing extinction. Albedo integrates herself in the creation myth of how she remained loyal to the gods, only to be punished by those around her. Ainz is rendered as the hero who saves her and takes her as his bride. Ainz purifies the world and the two return to Earth and marry, which marks the beginning of this world. After she finishes, Albedo thinks her myth praiseworthy. However, the Floor Guardians point out some holes, as they are not comfortable with the ideas that suggest that all of humanity are Ainz's descendants.
The Paladin of the Holy Kingdom Arc
Albedo, now acting as Prime Minister of the Sorcerer Kingdom, greets the representatives of the Holy Kingdom Liberation Army when they seek an audience with Ainz Ooal Gown. She provides time estimations of the Sorcerer Kingdom's ability to mobilize its forces to assist the Holy Kingdom against Jaldabaoth.
She and Demiurge are seen in a log cabin during a meeting with Ainz. When her master begins questioning his own actions to both Albedo and Demiurge, she states that she has no problem with what he does or the changes he had made with the original plan until now. However, as Ainz suggests faking his death during his battle with Jaldabaoth, this leaves Albedo shocked and upset at the idea. When Demiurge accepts such an idea from Ainz, it angers Albedo to the point that she inquires whether he will agree with the modified plan if his creator Ulbert Alain Odle was the one who proposed it instead of their master. The exchange of words between the two gets tenser and continues to be so until it was immediately gone upon Ainz's shout over them.
As the new plan is set forth by their master, Doppel-Yuri tells Ainz about a condition insisted by Albedo so she can fully support his plan. Particularly, if Ainz gets defeated by Jaldabaoth and his minions in battle, he will not be allowed to leave the Great Tomb of Nazarick for the coming year.
The Witch of the Falling Kingdom Arc
- Main article: The Witch of the Falling Kingdom Arc
While quickly skimming through the documents in her office regarding internal affairs and human resources of Nazarick/Sorcerer Kingdom, Albedo came across a complicated problem from one of the reports that have a title covered, "Regarding the problems faced by the team supporting the Holy Kingdom’s grain management". After noticing this, Albedo thought of discussing the matter with Demiurge, her colleague who she presumed as deeply linked to the problem. As a result, Albedo decided to inform her maid subordinate that she will be holding an emergency meeting on the 7th Floor of Nazarick first to discuss private matters with Demiurge about it.
Later on, she along with her fellow Floor Guardians met up together on the 10th Floor of Nazarick, Audience Room and waited on standby for their master Ainz's return. Once the Overlord arrives, Albedo began explaining to her master about what had happened to the Sorcerer Kingdom's trade caravan of grains. She had Shalltear bring Hilma Cygnaeus to their meeting as a witness who can answer Ainz's questions and concerns. Albedo suggested giving the witness a severe punishment but was denied by Ainz after her master interrogated Hilma. Although Albedo claims that it is only natural for the superior to take the fall for their subordinate, Ainz counters her argument by stating that both himself and Albedo would have also been responsible for Hilma and this incident to occur. In that regard, her master gave Hilma a punishment that was far from severe than what she suggested. In the end, Albedo and the rest of the Floor Guardians approved their master's reasoning for giving out his punishment in that manner. Once that matter was concluded, discussion about Philip resumes where it left off while Albedo explains their strategy for the Fall of the Re-Estize Kingdom.
When Ainz stated that maybe Philip did what he did without first thinking through about the consequence of his actions beforehand, Albedo doubted that to be the case. She thinks that someone like Philip couldn't have been this stupid to take action in such a manner as attacking their country's caravan. However, Demiurge tries reasoning with Albedo out of support for his master's opinion that could have been the case as Philip is after all an idiot who makes irrational actions.
Later, Albedo pays a visit to the Re-Estize Kingdom, traveling to the capital city in order to have a political meeting with King Ramposa III. She informed Ramposa that her country’s grain caravan, which was intended to be humanitarian aid to the Holy Kingdom, had been robbed by one of his own countrymen. When Ramposa gave suggestions like offering his own head, she states that the Sorcerer Kingdom will not change their policies towards this matter. After this, Albedo formally declares war between their two nations, stating that the Sorcerer Kingdom will deploy their troops a month from now at noon. She warns Ramposa that if he were to march his troops towards E-Rantel, which is within the Sorcerer Kingdom’s borders, then the latter will no longer follow that plan. While so, she relays the Sorcerer King's message to Ramposa of not using his grand magic in this war.
A month later after the Sorcerer Kingdom's declaration of war against the Re-Estize Kingdom, Albedo had contributed to the campaign by threatening a portion of the enemy nation’s nobility into rebelling. Because of that, her work was commended by Ainz during a meeting with the Floor Guardians in Nazarick.
- In the Web Novel, Albedo and her sisters do not exist.
- Albedo is a Latin word meaning "whiteness."
- Her white and black color palette is a reference to the Albedo Effect, where lighter colors are capable of reflecting heat while darker colors tend to attract heat.
- Albedo is the second NPC to be given the Ring of Ainz Ooal Gown.
- While Albedo is limited to only one set of clothes, she possesses several different kinds of underwear.
- In the manga, Albedo's armor looks bulky instead of feminine-shaped like in the anime. Others could have mistaken her for a man if it wasn't for her voice.
- Although Albedo is a succubus, she is revealed to still be a virgin, which is why she wasn't able to meet the requirements in riding her bicorn, which can only be ridden by impure maidens.
- Among the Floor Guardians and NPCs, Albedo is the only one who harbors hateful thoughts toward their creators including her own, but Momonga.
- Unlike in the Web Novel, Maruyama states that he had included Albedo in the Light Novel for a reason, so Ainz would be able to freely move around outside the Great Tomb of Nazarick.
- Every time he sees Albedo, and every time she declares her love for him, Ainz is reminded of the mistake he made in altering Albedo's settings.
- (To Momonga): "Will I have my first time here? Should I undress myself? Or would I trouble Momonga-sama? Wearing clothes, later on they might get dirty. No, if Momonga-sama wants me to wear these clothes, then I have no objections."
- (To Momonga):"The man who rules over the Supreme Beings, and our highest, most exalted master. In addition, the man I love most deeply."
- (To the Evil Lords): "That makes sense...it seems I panicked because I have not seen Momonga-sama for such a long time. I can only meet Momonga-sama after 18 hours, don't you think 18 hours is too long?"
- (To the Evil Lords): "For the last time, do you really think Momonga-sama will approve of seeing me dirtied like this?"
- (To Momonga about humans): "I don't like them. Humans are fragile and inferior creatures. If I crush them like insects, there would be a pretty sight to behold."
- (To the Sunlight Scripture): "You lower lifeforms! T-, to dare to do this kind of thing to our most beloved ruler Ainz-sama! To make my favorite and most loved person feel pain, is to not know your own abilities! I absolutely will not forgive you. I will let you taste the most amount of pain you have ever felt until you go mad! Using acid to corrode your four limbs, then cut off your genitals, make them into mincemeat and make you eat them! After that use healing spells to cure you! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Damn! Damn damn damn damn, my heart is about to explode!"
- (To Narberal): "I'll slowly decrease the distance between myself and Ainz-sama while Shalltear is out on business! Although the objective is hard to breach, as long as I keep up the pressure and gain a beachhead, I'll be able to bring it down one day! On that glorious day, Shalltear will weep bitter tears of regret!"
- (To Demiurge): "Be it cleaning, laundry or sewing skills, I am at the level of professionals. For the child that might be born in the future, I had made clothes and socks. All the way till five years old."
- (To Demiurge): "It doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl...ah! What if the child is a hermaphrodite, or sexless?"
- (During Shalltear's betrayal): "Ainz-sama, my beloved, I am your faithful dog, your slave. Even if all of Nazarick were to turn against you, I would still stand by your side."
- (To Ainz): "Why!? Why can you not make that promise? Did you have thoughts about abandoning us already? Why!? Is there something which makes you unhappy? If you would just explain, I will immediately remedy it! If you think of me as a hindrance, I shall immediately take my own life!"
- (To Demiurge about Ainz): "He is the one who wears the name of Ainz Ooal Gown, the one who rules over us all, the one who is both high and supreme. Such a being has declared his victory with his name."
- (To herself): "The Ainz Ooal Gown which abandoned us… It makes me mad."
- (To Ainz about anonymous suggestion): "...If there was a lower limit to the definition of the word ’inferior’, that idea has certainly managed to break through it."
- (To Demiurge): "No, Demiurge. How could someone like you, no, how could people like us ever hope to be able to fully comprehend Ainz-sama's ingenious plans? To have forgotten that Ainz-sama's every move was made with a multitude of intents may have been our greatest failure."
- (To King Ramposa III): "If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased."