- Main •
- Web Novel
|Judging from the current state of this page, there is no available image on the Overlord Fandom as of yet to help emphasize its appearance. Since it is lacking visuals, this article requires an image for the first time, the kind which should be high quality and distinguishable. You could go out of your way to assist the Overlord Wiki by adding an official image that came from any Overlord adaptation to it.|
Ainz Ooal Gown (アインズ・ウール・ゴウン), formerly known as Momonga (モモンガ), is the main protagonist of the Overlord Web Novel series. He is the guildmaster of Ainz Ooal Gown, Overlord of the Great Tomb of Nazarick, and the creator of Pandora's Actor. He is regarded as the highest of the Almighty Forty-One Supreme Beings by the NPCs of Nazarick. After making his debut in the New World he accepts an invitation to join the Baharuth Empire and becomes the newest Archduke.
A skeleton dressed in black eye-catching robes.
Out of the forty-one guild members of Ainz Ooal Gown, thirty-seven of his fellows had quit. Three still remained, but by the time of YGGDRASIL's shut-down Momonga could scarcely remember seeing them.
Overlord First Half Arc
- Main article: Overlord First Half Arc
On the last day of the game YGGDRASIL, only two members of Ainz Ooal Gown came to the Great Tomb of Nazarick: Momonga and Herohero. However, the latter decides to leave as he has pressing real-life issue. Now alone, Momonga decides to wait until the very end in the Throne Room. The first thing he grabs is the symbol of hid guild, the Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown.
Momonga encounters the Non-Playable Characters, Sebas Tian and the combat maids, and has them follow him to the Throne Room. There he has them be on standby and sits on the throne. As the clock counts down, Momonga briefly closes his eyes. However when he reopens them he finds that the shut-down has already passed. But for some reason he is still in his game avatar and none of the game systems are working. Even stranger he is greeted by Sebas Tian.
Momonga was dumbfounded and his thoughts were in disarray, but he slowly returned back to reality. After confirming that the GM Call is not working Momonga realizes that the NPCs have gained self-awareness. He slightly recovers and orders Sebas Tian to investigate the outside of the dungeon. He then addresses to have all the Floor Guardians meet in the Amphitheater on the 6th Floor. He stops one maid from departing and he conducts an experiment to touch one of the maids, but soon realizes us lack of feeling and sees his skeletal hand. He orders the maid to raise her skirt, who though confused complies. Momonga just confirmed that he is not in YGGDRASIL, as the system would ban such behavior. He wonders if he is in YGGDRASIL II. However he sees that the maid has begun crying and quickly apologizes before dismissing her.
Once at the Amphitheater, Momonga meets the Floor Guardian, Aura Debay Fiora. Together with her he decides to run a few tests like summoning magic and summons three Moonlight Wolves. After finishing their experiments the two ptiently wait for the other Floor Guardians. To kill time, Momoga tests out his magic using scarecrows brought by Aura's Dragonkin. To further test the extent of his abilities, Momonga summons a Primal Fire Elemental and has Aura combat it. As he wactches her fight, he manages to connect with his Item Box. Now confirming he has all this power Momonga wonders what he should do now.
Momonga makes small talk with Aura offering her a glass of water from the Pitcher of Endless Water. They are joined by Shalltear Bloodfallen, Demiurge, and Cocytus. Now that the have gathered, save for Gargantua, he asks if any of them experience any unusual activity but none can provide any information. Sebas Tian returns to report that the tomb had been transported from the poison swamp to an area of grassland. In an unknown territory Momonga orders the NPCs to send out several scouts to make a detailed report with the goal in collecting.
While looking through the Mirror of Remote Viewing, Momonga sees the knights attack on Carne Village. While he wants to stay out of the conflict, upon witnessing a dying man who somehow sees him via the magic mirror, decides to intervene in order to gain information on the world. He appears just in time to save a pair of young girls from a knight. Using his magic he turns the corpse into a Death Knight and has it attack the knights slaughtering the villagers. Turning to the girls, they are frightened of him but gives them a Minor Healing Potion to drink to heal their wounds and places magical protection upon them. When asked his named, Momonga declares himself Ainz Ooal Gown intending to make the name a legend for his comrades.
While his summon is killing the knights, Ainz Ooal Gown quickly dons the Mask of Envy to avoid scaring away the human villagers. Casting [Fly] he hovers above the village and orders the Death Knight to halt. He introduces himself as Ainz Ooal Gown, the Master of the Great Tomb of Nazarick. After he warns then not to come near this village of his territory he sends them running. Ainz then has the Death Knight clean up the Squire Zombies that were a result of its killings. Turning his attention to the villagers, he tells they he came to save the village. To allay their suspcions he asks for a reward and meets with the village chief. From the chief and his wife, he learns that that his currency from YGGDRASIL has become real gold. To explain his lack of mundane things, Ainz states that he lived a hermit existence as a magic caster. He soon learns about the various famous figures in this strange land he finds himself, like the Thirteen Heroes.
Abilities and Powers
According to the author Maruyama, Ainz is a Skeleton Wizard Lv. 15, Litch Lv. 10, Demi-Lich Lv. 5, Overlord Lv. 10, and various class levels. His class levels includes Master of Death and True Necromancer.
Described as an Undead, Momonga was an Overlord, an existence beyond death.
He had undead special base abilities such as immunity to status change, sickness, and instant death. Death magic strengthening. On the the other hand, there were even immunity to ability cost damage, energy drain, and many more along the way.
Of course, he had weaknesses, though these were the basic abilities of being an Undead, he could also gain them from leveling up as well. Frailness against Light or Holy Damage, Fire Damage Increase. Naturally, he could remove these with items.
Thanks to his cash items, Momonga had learned more than a hundred spells. In addition, due to his repeated PKs [Player Killer], and participating in special events, another three hundred eighteen more. In total, he had learnt seven hundred eighteen spells. Rather than simple destruction spells, he had a specialization in binding magic and death magic. In addition, he chose a class that matched them, boosting the abilities. And for that reason, he would lose to a battle-focused magic caster in terms of damage, and the destruction level was also a problem. Conversely, investigation and searching magic were very important but there were few of those so it could not be compared. For Mana Power, Momonga currently had 1980 points and his level was 100.
Momonga owned quite a few scrolls, wands and staffs. He was the type of person that hoarded everything. Even when he was facing the final boss in a video game, he did not use them. It was more miserly than carefulness.
- Acid Immunity
- Create High Tier Undead (8/day): It was an ability to create undead from Level 25 to 40.
- Create Low Tier Undead (12/day): It was an ability to create undead from level 10 to 24.
- Despair Aura I
- Despair Aura II
- Despair Aura III
- Despair Aura IV
- Despair Aura V
- Electric Immunity
- Ice Immunity
- Negative Energy Touch/Touch of Undeath
- High Class: Damage Immunity
- High Class: Magic Resistance
- High Class: Retreating Resistance
- Impure Protection
- Physical Damage
- Reduction in Strengthen Magic
- Wave of Death
Basic Undead Race Traits
- Biological Penalties' Resistance
- Bludgeoning Vulnerability V
- Critical Hit Immunity
- Night Vision
- Death Immunity
- Disease Immunity
- Doubled Damage by Fire
- Eating, Drinking, and Breathing are Unnecessary
- Energy Drain Immunity
- Good, Light and Holy Vulnerability IV
- Good and Holy Consecrated Areas' Vulnerability II
- Mind-affecting Immunity
- Necromancy Resistance
- Paralysis Immunity
- Physical Penalty Resistance
- Poisoning Immunity
- Recover by Negative Energy
- Sleep Immunity
- Instant Death Strengthening Magic
- Rite of Darkness: Ainz states that he can enhance his undead creation skills through the use of a dark ritual.
- Undead Aura
- Undead Creation
- Undead Control / Undead Domination
- Undead Ruler
- Undead Strengthening: The various kinds of undead entities Ainz can create for summoning are buffed or enhanced than their original.
- Book of Revelations Malevolent Locust
- Creation: It is a super-tier spell that can change the terrain itself. In YGGDRASIL, it was used to guard against the heat of volcanoes or the cold of freezing lands. According to Ainz's experiment, it has an amazingly large area of effect and can cover the entire 8th Floor inside the Great Tomb of Nazarick.
- Disaster of Abaddon’s Locust
- Iä Shub-Niggurath: Ainz uses this super-tier spell to summon a black cyclone that instantly kills everything in its field of range. This spell inflicts an instant-death effect, and it is practically useless against the undead, golems, and other beings which have no life. Additionally, the fallen victims caught in the cyclone are also sacrificed in order to summon monsters over level 90 known as "Dark Young." The number of summoned Dark Youngs is proportional to the total number of sacrifices.
- All Appraisal Magic Item
- Anti-life Cocoon
- Charm Person
- Create Greater Item
- Detect Life
- Dimensional Move
- Grasp Heart
- Greater Magic Accumulation
- Greater Teleportation
- High Tier Undead Creation: Death Knight
- Magic Arrow
- Perfect Unknowable
- Sense Enemy
- Time Stop
- Wall of Protection from Arrows
High Tier Undead
Middle Tier Undead
Low Tier Undead
- Bone Vulture
- Elder Lich
Spirits (via Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown)
- Primal Air Elemental
- Primal Earth Elemental
- Primal Fire Elemental
- Primal Star Elemental
- Primal Water Elemental
- Ring of Ainz Ooal Gown [Divine class artifact]
- Shooting Star [Divine class artifact]
- Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown [Guild Weapon]
- Momonga's Red Orb [World Item]
- Unlike in the Light Novel, Sebas Tian is the one who greets Ainz when he comes into the New World, not Albedo as she doesn't exist in this continuum.